Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Scribblings~#206 The Book That Changed Everything




"Diet for a New America" by John Robbins changed my life in the way I ate. After reading the last page of this book, I became a Vegan. It led me to immerse myself into reading more about the subject, and to branch out into books on raw foodism. It is a path in my life I am happy I took. I also feel though it is and should always be a personalchoice.


Addendum (per request of Oldegg):


This lifestyle change was easy for me. I went cold turkey, as I do with most major changes in my life(like when I quit smoking). I love to make change and make change BIG!

As far pros and cons, there were more pros making this change than cons. The biggest pro is that I feel healthier than I have ever. I gained a better appreciation for how animals are treated in this country and for the sole purpose of making money(lot's of money). Becoming vegan also opened my eyes to living more green and adopting an more sustainable lifestyle. All in all it just made me more consciously aware of my surroundings.

The biggest con or drawback has been, that at times I spend so much more time in the kitchen with preparation. So when I am short on time I might not eat enough in the day. Especially, when I am eating mostly raw for the day.


See more Sunday Scribblings here:

9 comments:

  1. I'm vegetarian, but not vegan. I don't think that any one way to go is right for everyone, but we put too much crap in our bodies in America, and we're too wasteful in our food practices. If you're healthy and happy on a vegan diet, good for you. There are people out there who would love to dissuade you, but they don't have to live in your body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lisa, I needed more! I wanted to know what it was like to change your eating habits. What were the pros and cons?

    Can I tempt a little addendum out of you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lisa -- I read that book years ago, and it persuaded me to go vegan, too. These days I eat close to vegetarian (and that not strictly), but the things I learned from that book I still retain to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, Lisa. A vegan diet is just so beautiful; it is more than just food. I've known many who are socially conscious, rebellions for humanitarian rights, and Earth Firsters who are devote vegans. My husband was one of those 'monkey wrenching' type of guys when I met him and I was a vegetarian, but I became vegan after falling in love with him. We stayed that way until two babies came and after four babies, we are all vegetarian. We contemplate shedding our skin again and going vegan sometimes. I'll definitely have to pick up this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Lisa. A vegan diet is just so beautiful; it is more than just food. I've known many who are socially conscious, rebellions for humanitarian rights, and Earth Firsters who are devote vegans. My husband was one of those 'monkey wrenching' type of guys when I met him and I was a vegetarian, but I became vegan after falling in love with him. We stayed that way until two babies came and after four babies, we are all vegetarian. We contemplate shedding our skin again and going vegan sometimes. I'll definitely have to pick up this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book doesn't seem to be as 'big' in the UK, But I like your reasons for choosing it and it was good to learn about it having such an impact on your lifestyle. Thanks for your visit..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing for me as I've been contemplating this lately....Spoke to my family about it but haven't read the book yet!

    Good for you living this clean lifestyle!

    Thanks for popping by my blog and your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not read this, sounds interesting -- thank you for sharing…
    …rob
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to check this out. I am not vegetarian though I do try to eat as little meat as possible. My family would not be willing to make the switch so I compromise. Maybe reading the book will help me go a little further and perhaps persuade themas well.

    ReplyDelete