Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Scribblings~#213 Recipe

This weeks prompt came at the perfect time when I was actually making my favorite recipe for the next few days ahead. I am mostly a raw foodist. I sometimes eat a low fat vegan cook diet on occasion. One thing I have loved about the whole uncooking experience is learning how to make raw ice creams.

The base of most raw ice creams are made from nuts, and/or young coconut meat. The first raw ice cream recipe I ever tried was from the Raw Food Real World cook book (slightly modified) and it was:



Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups raw cashews , soaked 4 hrs or more
2 cups coconut meat (young coconuts)
1 cup filtered water (I use water from water ionizer)
1 cup raw agave nectar
1/4 cup coconut butter
2 tablespoons of raw vanilla extract
Seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean or two additional teaspoons of extract
1/2 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt

In Vita-Mix or high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Chill thoroughly and then process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.

This is a great base for other flavors. Since I love chocolate a lot. I usually grind up raw cacao nibs and add to this recipe, to make an awesome raw chocolate ice cream.

For more Sunday Scribblings go here.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I've never tried the raw method but it must be delicious -

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has got to be very delicious :D I just know it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey this is great, i particularly like that it is milk free... so my husband could eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't mind - I'm sending this to a vegan friend that was just talking about eating cashew sour cream last week!

    ReplyDelete