Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MFA in Creative Writing

“Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.”
~ Don Delillo (American Novelist born in New York City, b.1926)



I was searching the Internet for different MFA writing programs when I came across a video on http://www.scad.edu/writing/index.cfm site by Adam Penenber, author of the book, http://www.amazon.com/Viral-Loop-Facebook-Businesses-Themselves/dp/1401323499. SCAD has something they call the Ivy Hall Writer's Series and there are other great video's by author's on the site as well.

Anyhow, his was the perfect motivation for today! In essence he has you question yourself on your desire to write, to believe that you can do it and to take action. This is the only way in which you will truly become a writer and find your voice.

In the last weeks I have been sifting through some of my old writings, revamping them and using them to create new writing ideas. It is the creative process and selection of material to submit, so that I can apply to an MFA program. I am looking at low-residency programs all over the country, since I am not in the position at the moment to pack myself up and move somewhere.

This is for me, a long time coming. I have an undergraduate degree in creative writing and always wanted to pursue my Master's in creative writing as well. Now, I just need to spend the time sifting through all the mounds of information for the schools, their processes for the programs, locations and see which appeal to me the most. Or should I say, which I feel could be the place I could enjoy, and flourish the most.

It is exciting! I am excited. It feels so liberating to put my words down onto paper or into this space again.

No comments:

Post a Comment